Breakthrough is seeking a Director of Communications who thrives in a creative setting and wants to be part of an organization that exists to justly transform cultures and people. The person should have experience developing and implementing organizational branding efforts. They should have a proven track record using traditional and new media for public relations efforts as well as developing innovative messaging strategies.
The Communications Director, who will partner with the Chief Operating Officer and Creative Director, will be responsible for developing and implementing the institutional communications strategy and voice across a broad range of communications platforms.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Strategic vision. The Communications Director will work closely with the U.S. Leadership Team to develop near- and long-term communications strategies for Breakthrough in the U.S. This work includes identifying issues and opportunities, managing the institutional voice, and managing all aspects of the rollout of strategies for organizational initiatives. We also seek a professional who is able to respond in a rapid, timely way to current events and spontaneous opportunities.
Editorial voice. The Communications Director will oversee the process of communicating the organization’s work with a range of audiences, leading a regular editorial process to make sure Breakthrough remains in touch with social, cultural, and political developments in the world. The Director will also oversee publications, such as the annual report, and materials designed for key influential audiences, including fundraising material.
Media advocacy. Garnering online and traditional media coverage to influence public dialogue as well as broad dissemination of multimedia campaigns is a key part of Breakthrough strategy. The Director will create and supervise a plan to attract and generate strategic media coverage to advance the goals of individual projects, build awareness of human rights culture, engage constituencies, and to raise Breakthrough’s institutional profile. The Director will also be responsible for tracking media and cultural output on key issues of concern.
Branding and marketing. The Director will lead the process to shape and track the brand identities for all projects associated with the organization and for Breakthrough as an institution, and will have experience in innovative ways to present information.
Management. The Director will be responsible for managing all relationships related to communications including outside consultants, such as PR and advertising firms. The Director will also be responsible for supervising the Social Media Manager.
Communications learning and capacity building. As an organization committed to using communications and media tools to advance human rights, the Director of Communications will act as a center of learning within the organization on best practices on media coverage, social marketing, social networking, opinion research, and the like.
Successful candidate will have demonstrated:
- Strong experience and innovation in directing media, branding, marketing and communications strategy in a client/agency relationship or for a company or nonprofit organization.
- Experience marketing to various demographics and diverse communities a plus.
- Experience developing fundraising materials and developing personalized fundraising pitches.
- Experience developing and executing social media strategies and plans, including growth targets.
- Creativity and fluency in popular culture and expert familiarity and agility using a vast range of communications technologies and tactics, especially concerning digital media and social networking.
- A track record of generating strategic media coverage of events and institutions and the ability to shape projects so they resonate with the press and other key audiences.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- A collaborative work style and a self-directed, entrepreneurial spirit.
- Exceptional ability to manage multiple projects.
- Experience with advocacy and policy issues a strong plus.
- Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com and specify “Communications Director” in the subject line.
- Electronic applications only, please. Applications by mail will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. Position will be open until filled.
- Resumes sent without a cover letter will not be considered.
- Due to a high volume of responses, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
This is a full-time position.
COMPENSATION: Salary dependent on experience. Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability; life insurance; 403b and commuter benefits; and generous paid-time off.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familiar status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status. People of all gender identities, people from underrepresented racial backgrounds, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
For a PDF version of this application, please click here.