Let’s Breakthrough, Inc. (“Breakthrough US”) is seeking a collaborative, ambitious leader to be the new Executive Director of a well-established culture change organization that is poised for exciting growth and impact. Your role stands at the intersection of creative media, pop culture, BIPOC communities, social justice, and human rights—and invites you to be audacious in your vision of a just and equitable world.
Breakthrough US is an unconventional human rights organization working to drive the culture change we need to build a world in which all people live with dignity, equality, and respect. We do this by producing and uplifting media—and media makers—that challenge the status quo. Since 1999, our campaigns have sparked conversations and cultural transformation at the intersection of gender, sexuality, racial justice, and immigrant rights. Through nuanced, authentic storytelling, we amplify the voices and experiences of marginalized people, challenging systemic barriers and building their cultural power. Recognizing the reach and power of pop culture and art, we use gaming, comedy, pop music, multimedia, and technology to reach people where they are and inspire them to stand for the human rights, and essential humanity, of all.
As Executive Director, you will lead Breakthrough US in its work to use culture to change culture: to engage the power of the arts, media, and technology to enhance the voice and power of those marginalized by cultural norms and institutions. You will work with our creative team to develop cutting-edge programming, but your chief responsibility is to serve as Breakthrough US’s ambassador: our voice in the world leading thought and building buzz. You are visionary, strategic, and optimistic, with a keen understanding of the current cultural and political landscape of the U.S. You are as bold, experimental, and innovative as these times demand. You are not just comfortable in, but energized by, this largely public role that requires you to inspire others to be part of delivering on Breakthrough US’s mission.
- Build on existing organizational strengths, relationships, and core know how to keep Breakthrough US on the cutting edge and raise it to the next level of culture change impact.
- Spearhead strategic thinking and key partnerships.
- Promote the vision of the organization in/on new and diverse venues and platforms.
- Mobilize your extensive networks in social justice, philanthropy, media and/or culture change to forge high-impact partnerships.
- Implement successful resource mobilization strategies, securing support from foundations, corporations, and individuals, and developing innovative approaches to earned income.
- Develop a small but bold, strategic, and talented team who cares deeply about mission, connects with Breakthrough’s approach, and takes responsibility for driving progress.
- Nurture a creative, collaborative, inclusive organizational culture.
- Support the development and maintenance of a robust, active, and engaged board of directors, and collaborate with the board on organizational vision, strategy, resources, and impact.
- Collaborate with our sister organization in India, Breakthrough Trust (“Breakthrough India”) on global projects and platforms.
Skills and strengths
- A gifted thought leader and brand ambassador who will be the face and voice of the ambitious work of Breakthrough US, articulating our unique vision, strategy, and impact in the press, to potential supporters, allies, and more.
- A visionary team leader, setting ambitious goals for organizational growth and impact.
- A cultural influencer with a finger on the pulse of pop culture and the cutting edge of media and technology.
- 10+ years experience as a leader in: social justice, media, or pop culture, using conventional or unconventional strategies for reaching new/large audiences and shifting perceptions and narratives.
- 10+ years experience delivering high-performing, influential, and innovative multimedia products and digital outreach strategies; managing effective networks; and achieving impact at scale.
- Fluency in popular culture and familiarity with current and evolving digital and social platforms.
- Ambition, confidence, humility, and respect for others.
- Respect and empathy for people across the spectrum of identities and cultural backgrounds.
New York City area (some exceptions possible for the right candidate)
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, in either Word or PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Executive Director.” Questions may be directed there as well. No phone calls, please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to a high volume of responses, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits including employer paid premiums for health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, and life insurance. Generous paid time off including 20 days vacation, 8 paid sick days, 3 paid personal days, and 8 paid holidays. The office is closed between Christmas and New Year’s.
Breakthrough US is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough US prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status. People of all gender identities, people from underrepresented racial backgrounds, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.