Let’s Breakthrough, Inc. (Breakthrough)
Senior Communications Manager
Status: Full Time/Exempt
Location: New York, NY/Remote
Reports to: President & CEO
Breakthrough is a global human rights organization using media, technology & pop culture to create the narrative change & culture shift needed to end gender based violence and promote the safety & well-being of Black and Indigenous women, girls, femmes and gender-expansive people. Since 1999, our campaigns have sparked conversations and cultural transformation at the intersection of gender, sexuality, racial justice, and immigrant rights in India and the United States. In 2021 against the backdrop of a global pandemic, Let’s Breakthrough Inc. formally separated the India and U.S. offices and hired Nakisha M. Lewis as the President and CEO of Breakthrough U.S.
In the U.S. our goal is to build more equitable and democratic societies invested in sustaining human rights values through nuanced, authentic storytelling, amplifying the voices and experiences of marginalized people, challenging systemic barriers and building their cultural power. Recognizing the reach and power of pop culture and art, we use gaming, comedy, pop music, multimedia, and technology to reach people where they are and inspire them to stand for the human rights, and essential humanity, of all.
Visit www.letsbreakthrough.org to learn more about Breakthrough’s programs and operations.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Breakthrough is seeking a Senior Communications Manager who thrives in a creative setting and wants to be part of an organization that exists to justly transform cultures and people. The Senior Communications Manager will lead Breakthrough’s efforts to develop and implement the institutional communications strategy and voice across a broad range of communications platforms. The ideal candidate will have experience developing and implementing organizational branding efforts, a proven track record using traditional and new media for public relations efforts, as well as experience developing innovative messaging strategies. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Strategic vision. The Senior Communications Manager will work closely with Leadership to develop near-and long-term communications strategies for Breakthrough. This work includes identifying issues and opportunities, managing the institutional voice, and managing all aspects of the rollout of strategies for organizational initiatives. We also seek a professional who is able to respond in a rapid, timely way to current events and spontaneous opportunities.
Editorial voice. The Senior Communications Manager will oversee the process of communicating the organization’s work with a range of audiences, leading a regular editorial process to make sure Breakthrough remains in touch with social, cultural, and political developments in the world. The Senior Communications Manager will oversee publications, such as the annual report, and materials designed for key influential audiences, including fundraising material.
Media advocacy. Garnering online and traditional media coverage to influence public dialogue as well as broad dissemination of multimedia campaigns is a key part of Breakthrough strategy. The Senior Communications Manager will create and supervise a plan to attract and generate strategic media coverage to advance the goals of individual projects, build awareness of human rights culture, engage constituencies, and to raise Breakthrough’s institutional profile. The Senior Communications Manager will also be responsible for tracking media and cultural output on key issues of concern.
Branding and marketing. The Senior Communications Manager will lead the process to shape and track the brand identities for all projects associated with the organization and for Breakthrough as an institution and will have experience in innovative ways to present information.
Management. The Senior Communications Manager will be responsible for managing all relationships related to communications including outside consultants, such as Google AdGrants Management, PR, and advertising firms.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and execute Breakthrough’s external communications tools, including email marketing, websites, social media, and presence on public sites
- Develop and implement an innovative social media and community content strategy to engage and build community, tracking hashtags and trending topics, and moderating and responding to comments in order to drive dynamic conversation
- Daily content curation on topics such as race, gender, sexuality, identity, policy and other intersectional social justice issues; ensuring a consistent tone and voice across platforms
- Stay on top of breaking news and pop cultural developments and develop Breakthrough’s immediate response
- Create and curate engaging visual elements, using Adobe Creative Cloud and other visual design tools, for social media that highlight Breakthrough’s media, arts, and tech approach.
- Manage and update editorial calendar, collaborating with staff to ensure a robust communication plan to meet organizational goals
- Manage and maintain Breakthrough’s website; managing content updates, building basic web and landing pages as needed, monitoring engagement opportunities, and partnering with developer for more complex changes
- Manage Breakthrough’s email marketing tools; crafting e-blasts, tracking performance, and maintaining and updating lists
- Manage Breakthrough’s Google AdWords and Analytics accounts, ensuring optimization of Breakthrough’s AdGrant account
- Identify opportunities for social media and campaign partnerships
- Support program team in developing and implementing social media campaigns, email marketing, and web content management
- At least 5 years experience managing online communities and partnerships, editorial calendars, and implementing digital campaigns, preferably for a nonprofit or social justice organization
- Strong understanding of key elements of the digital marketing ecosystem, including email acquisition and engagement, audience segmentation and A/B testing, social media and other digital advertising platforms, website and landing pages, SEO, paid and organic search, and digital and social media analytics tools
- Strong writer with an engaging voice and aptitude for thought-provoking copy
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Extremely high level of organization, initiative, attention to detail, responsibility, and follow-through
- High level of proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud and other visual design tools
- High level of proficiency with Mailchimp or other email marketing systems; basic website and web content management knowledge; specific knowledge of WordPress a plus
- Experience developing fundraising materials and developing personalized fundraising pitches.
- Experience developing and executing social media strategies and plans, including growth targets and the ability to tailor content appropriately to various platform
- Familiar with social media and other digital analytics tools;
- Ability to work collaboratively and cross-departmentally, as well as independently with minimal supervision
Successful candidates will also possess:
- Experience marketing to various demographics and diverse communities a plus.
- Creativity and fluency in popular culture and expert familiarity and agility using a vast range of communications technologies and tactics, especially concerning digital media and social networking.
- A track record of generating strategic media coverage of events and institutions and the ability to shape projects so they resonate with the press and other key audiences.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills.
- A collaborative work style and a self-directed, entrepreneurial spirit.
- Exceptional ability to manage multiple projects.
- Initiative to develop systems and utilize technology to be efficient without sacrificing quality.
- Ability to shift between big picture and day-to-day in order to drive projects forward
- Empathy with a high level of discretion and knowledge of how to respond to sensitive and impactful stories
- Humor, energy for challenges, and passion for social change
- News junkie and social media expert always ready to respond to breaking news
- Knowledge of and advocacy experience with gender and intersectional social justice issues a strong plus
New York City area/ Remote
The Senior Communications Manager reports directly to the President and CEO.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The salary range for this position is $70,000 to $80,000 commensurate with experience, plus a competitive benefits package including health coverage, paid sick leave, life insurance, vacation and holidays, and access to professional development resources.
Please submit your resume and cover letter, in either Word or PDF format, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Senior Communications Manager.” Questions may be directed there as well. No phone calls, please. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Due to a high volume of responses, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Breakthrough US is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough US prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status. People of all gender identities, people from underrepresented racial backgrounds, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.