Breakthrough is seeking a Social & Digital Media Manager who thrives in a creative setting and wants to be part of an organization that exists to justly transform cultures and people. They will own and execute Breakthrough’s digital marketing strategy and be responsible for building and engaging our virtual audiences via email marketing, website tools, and all relevant social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and Youtube. This will include content curation, comment moderation, campaign implementation, and monitoring and evaluation. The Social & Digital Media Manager will be a creative individual who can easily replicate Breakthrough’s online voice through storytelling in order to engage and build community.
- Manage Breakthrough’s external communications tools, including e-blasts, websites, social media, and presence on public sites
- Develop and implement an innovative social media and community content strategy to engage and build community, tracking hashtags and trending topics, and moderating and responding to comments in order to drive dynamic conversation
- Daily content creation and curation on topics such as gender, race, immigration, and other intersectional social justice issues; ensuring a consistent tone and voice across platforms
- Stay on top of breaking news and develop Breakthrough’s immediate response
- Create and curate engaging visual elements, using Adobe Photoshop and other visual design tools, for social media that highlight Breakthrough’s media, arts, and tech approach.
- Manage and update editorial calendar, collaborating with staff to ensure a robust communication plan to meet organizational goals
- Manage and maintain Breakthrough’s website; managing content updates, building basic web and landing pages as needed, monitoring engagement opportunities, and partnering with developer for more complex changes
- Manage Breakthrough’s email marketing tools; crafting e-blasts, tracking performance, and maintaining and updating lists
- Manage Breakthrough’s Google AdWords and Analytics accounts, ensuring optimization of Breakthrough’s AdGrant account
- Identify opportunities for social media and campaign partnerships
- Support program team in developing and implementing social media campaigns, email marketing, and web content management
- 2-5 year(s) experience managing online communities and partnerships, editorial calendars, and implementing digital campaigns, preferably for a nonprofit or social justice organization
- Strong understanding of key elements of the digital marketing ecosystem, including email acquisition and engagement, audience segmentation, social media and other digital advertising platforms, website and landing pages, SEO, paid and organic search.
- High level of proficiency with Adobe Photoshop and other visual design tools
- High level of proficiency with Mailchimp or other email marketing systems; basic website and web content management knowledge; specific knowledge of WordPress a plus
- Knowledge of various social media platforms and the ability to tailor content appropriately to each platform
- Familiar with social media and other digital analytics tools; A/B testing experience a plus
- Experience with media relations a plus
- Strong writer with an engaging voice and aptitude for thought-provoking copy
- Ability to work collaboratively and cross-departmentally, as well as independently with minimal supervision
A person who thrives in this role would also possess:
- Ability to shift between big picture and day-to-day in order to drive projects forward
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Extremely high level of organization, initiative, attention to detail, responsibility, and follow-through
- Empathy with a high level of discretion and knowledge of how to respond to sensitive and impactful stories
- Humor, energy for challenges, and passion for social change
- News junkie and social media expert always ready to respond to breaking news
- Knowledge of gender and intersectional social justice issues preferred
- Go through our Facebook (@BreakthroughUS) and Instagram (@BreakthroughTV) pages and get a feel for Breakthrough’s voice. Demonstrate how you would curate content and frame an example post for each platform. Send those two sample social posts, along with your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and specify “Social & Digital Media Manager” in the subject line.
- Electronic applications only, please. Applications by mail will not be accepted. No phone calls, please.
- Resumes sent without a cover letter or social posts will not be considered.
- Position will be open until filled.
- Due to a high volume of responses, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
This is a full-time position. Please note that Breakthrough staff are currently working remotely. This position will be remote until our office re-opens. Potential for this role to be fully remote.
Salary dependent on experience. Anticipated range is $50-$55K. Excellent benefits including employer-paid premiums for health, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, and life insurance. Generous paid time off including 20 days vacation, 8 paid sick days, 3 paid personal days, 8 paid holidays, and the office is closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Breakthrough is an equal opportunity employer committed to complying with all federal, state, and local equal employment opportunity laws. Breakthrough prohibits discrimination against any employee and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, military status, height and weight, religion, genetic predisposition or carrier status, arrest record, or any other legally protected status. People of all gender identities, people from underrepresented racial backgrounds, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.