Since 1999, Breakthrough has been at the vanguard of harnessing the power of media, arts and tech to spark radical culture change. Working in the U.S. and India, we have used pop culture vehicles like music videos, video games, and stand up comedy to promote human rights at the intersection of gender equity, racial justice, LGBTQ+ rights, immigrant rights, and child and adolescent rights around the globe.
With the launch of our multimedia initiative to uplift the lived experiences and liberation dreams* of girls and gender non-conforming youth of color from across the United States and Puerto Rico—we are joining forces with partner content creators to expand on that mission on a new scale.
We believe that those facing systemic barriers have the most effective ideas for a liberated future. The best pathways to a liberated future are created by them and for them.
By & For: Our Communities will amplify the lived experiences and liberation dreams of girls and gender non-conforming youth of color in authentic, nuanced and respectful ways, and provide them with platforms to tell their own stories, on their own terms.
- Black folks die from broken hearts all the time
- 10 Womxn Writers who will keep you inspired through the end of this stressful Women’s History Month
- Welcome to By & For: Black Youth!
- My Colorful Nana Project: “Making Believers in Unprecedented Times,” an interview with NYC Mayoral Candidate Dianne Morales
- BY & FOR: A PODCAST COMMUNITY launches with a creative collaboration between Breakthrough & the My Colorful Nana Project!
*Inspired by Robin Kelley’s concept of “freedom dreams” (2002), liberation dreams are our imaginings and ideas for a world that offers new channels for creativity and joy, free of oppressive power structures.